Get 24/7 Help Now
800-895-1695
Who Answers?

Levoamphetamine

Helping Find Treatment Since 2002.

Our caring placement counselors are standing by right now to help you locate a reputable alcohol or drug rehab facility that meets your needs and budget.

Don't struggle alone. Call us now and get the help you need.

800-895-1695

Let Us Help - Call Us Now

Who Answers?

Commonly used in the treatment of ADHD, obesity and narcolepsy, Levoamphetamine is a powerful amphetamine that works as a stimulant on the central nervous system. This drug carries a very strong potential for abuse and misuse. Levoamphetamine abuse that takes place repeatedly or which continues for a prolonged period of time can lead to addiction and physical dependence.

What is Levoamphetamine?

amphetamines

A main type of prescription amphetamine is levoamphetamine.

This is a stimulant drug that is generally weaker than dextroamphetamine but which acts similarly to dextroamphetamine. Levoamphetamine salts make up 25% of the active ingredients in Adderall, a powerful prescription used in the treatment of ADHD. The other 75% of Adderall’s active ingredients is dextroamphetamine.

Levoamphetamine is a part of the amphetamine molecule known as the levorotary stereoisomer. Each amphetamine contains the following two seteroisomers:

  • dextroamphetamine
  • levoamphetamine

Effects of Levoamphetamine

This drug produces an array of side effects which resemble those of most other stimulant drugs. On the lowest scale, levoamphetamine can produce suppressed appetite and increased alertness. When used in excess or when used regularly, the following effects may occur:

  • restlessness
  • irritability
  • agitation
  • heightened energy
  • weight loss
  • malnutrition resulting from reduced appetite
  • altered sexual desire
  • muscle twitching and spasms
  • insomnia or changes in sleep patterns
  • headaches
  • muscle aches
  • dehydration

Dangers of Levoamphetamine Abuse

Certain risks may arise from even a single misuse of Levoamphetamine. If you take Levoamphetamine and notice any of the following side effects you should consult with a medical professional right away:

  • pounding heartbeat
  • loud pounding or sound of the heart beating in your ears
  • chest pain
  • difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
  • hallucinations either auditory or visual
  • strong anxiety or paranoia
  • confusion and inability to properly process thoughts
  • blurred vision or difficulty seeing
  • dizziness or loss of coordination

Additional dangers associated with the use of Levoamphetamine range from an increased tolerance to the drug to addiction. Stroke, heart attack, seizures, convulsions, coma and even death may occur with Levoamphetamine abuse – some of these side effects are possible with just a single dose of the drug especially if the users has any underlying heart defects that may not even be known at the time.

If you suspect that someone you know is taking Levoamphetamine without a prescription or is abusing the drug, consult with a treatment professional right away for help.

How our helpline works

For those seeking addiction treatment for themselves or a loved one, the Methamphetamines.com helpline is a private and convenient solution.

Calls to any general helpline (non-facility specific 1-8XX numbers) for your visit will be answered by American Addiction Centers (AAC).

We are standing by 24/7 to discuss your treatment options. Our representatives work solely for AAC and will discuss whether an AAC facility may be an option for you. Our helpline is offered at no cost to you and with no obligation to enter into treatment. Neither Methamphetamines.com nor AAC receives any commission or other fee that is dependent upon which treatment provider a visitor may ultimately choose.

For more information on AAC’s commitment to ethical marketing and treatment practices, or to learn more about how to select a treatment provider, visit our About AAC page. If you wish to explore additional treatment options or connect with a specific rehab center, you can browse top-rated listings or visit SAMHSA.